Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Best Cowboy Knife Ever -- Buck Horseman's Knife


About 20 years ago I bought a "Buck Horseman's Knife" from a packer and outfitters store in Cody, Wyoming.  I've carried that knife clipped to my boot, or in my hip pocket on every horseback ride since then.  

Over the years I've picked a ton of rocks out of horse hoofs with the sturdy aluminum hoof pick, and I've cut a couple of lead ropes on panicked horses.  See my story -- "Cowboy Wisdom -- Why carry a sharp knife"

Then roughly ten years back I started getting plumb anxious and worried I'd lose the best knife I ever owned.  I started looking for another one to put away as a backup, and I soon discovered -- for some undetermined reason -- Buck had quit making them.  I got in touch with the Buck factory and a representative promised to keep my name on file and let me know if they ever made some more.

Look close and you'll see my knife clipped to my boot

Another five years went by -- I was traveling a lot to do Cowboy Mounted Shooting -- I started getting' down-right paranoid about losing that knife.  I started watching ebay on a daily basis, and after about two years of searching I found one at auction that was a special presentation for the employees at Purina Mills.  It came a nylon sheath -- mine never had one -- and included an original Buck plastic bag.


It's amazing the lengths we'll go to for something unusual that works so well.  It cost me a heap of dough, but I now have an backup of the Best Cowboy Knife Ever -- Buck Horseman's Knife

4 comments:

  1. I had above horseman knife , every thing you said very true - I gave it to a day working cowboy . Thinking I could easily get another but I can find a supplier! . Any suggestions . Jim Rohrer. jrjrrohrer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 75 and no longer riding, so someday soon I'll put the Purina Mills Buck knife on ebay. I figure it'll fetch around $200-250.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no need for ebay ... I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2022 Update: SOLD on eBay for my $150.00 ask. Funny the one I always worried about losing is in my desk drawer.

    ReplyDelete